Graduate Minors


Graduate students outside of the Department of Government may pursue up to two approved minors in addition to their majors. To receive a minor in Government, a graduate student must complete nine credits of graduate coursework. The coursework may either be general or focused on a specific area of study, such as Latin American studies, international relations or public policy.

Students should check with their home departments before completing the minor.

Specific minors are also available (for both Government and non-Government majors) in the following areas:

  • Graduate Minor in Security Studies
    A unique minor that examines security and intelligence in the aftermath of September 11 is also available in the Government Department. For specific program information, follow this link.
  • Graduate Minor in Public Administration
    This minor addresses some of the specific needs of those pursuing a career in governmental or non-profit administration. Most courses are offered in the evenings, and the program is designed both for individuals who recently completed undergraduate degrees as well as returning students. It is intended to foster public service leadership by teaching students how to confront theory with practice and practice with theory.